President Trump issued an alternative pay plan for federal employees Thursday officially authorizing a 2018 federal pay raise of 1.9 percent.

Most civilian federal employees will receive an average raise of 1.4 percent, with an additional 0.5 percent adjusted in locality pay for a total of a 1.9 percent. The official 2018 GS pay scale and locality tables will likely be released in late December from the Office of Personnel Management.

The 2018 pay plan was transmitted in a memo (see below for full text) in which the president formally announces the next year’s pay raise to Congress by August 31. The 1.9 percent increase matches the figure the president proposed as a 2018 federal pay raise earlier this year.

Several federal employee groups made statements Thursday that the 1.9 percent pay increase is not enough.

“NTEU believes this figure is too low especially in light of the fact that federal law calls for a 1.9 percent across-the-board raise and private sector wages are growing at an even faster rate,” said Tony Reardon, National President of the National Treasury Employees Union (NTEU). “Add to that, current proposals attacking the federal retirement system would result in a pay cut for federal workers.”

“NARFE applauds the Administration’s proposed federal pay raise, which allows pay for our nation’s public servants to keep pace with private-sector wage growth,” said Richard Thissen, president of the National Active and Retired Federal Employees Association. “The 1.9 percent average pay increase in 2018 would be in line with long-standing statutory policy, which directs federal pay to increase at the rate of the Employment Cost Index for private-sector wages and salaries, minus 0.5 percent.”

“While federal employees will appreciate the raise, an average increase of 1.9 percent is the minimum required to prevent federal pay from declining further, and more rapidly, below market than the current 35 percent wage disparity between public- and private-sector wages,” Thissen added. “Both Congress and the President should work together to pursue a more robust pay increase to maintain the highly qualified workforce needed to run an efficient federal government.”

Follow us on Social Media:


  • Elliott says:

    Great site! Ι am loving it!! Will come Ƅack agаin. Ӏ ɑm bookmarking үⲟur feeds also

  • Tracy Cobbett says:

    Еvery weekend i usеd tо visit this web paɡe, for the reason tһat i wish fߋr enjoyment, fοr the reason tһat this thіѕ
    site conations ɑctually nice funny material tоo.

Leave a Reply